Beveled glass mirror

Beveled Glass Mirror/upcycling project

Posted on

upcycling beveled glass mirror project It has been just over a month since I last posted a project,  spring fever I think…so much to do outside. Yet I did have this beveled glass mirror project yet to do.

How I came to purchase this mirror:

I decided to rent a space at a local indoor flea market to see if I could sell some of my artwork and re-purposed-upcycled items.  The risk though was knowing I could end up doing more shopping of my neighbor’s items than time in my spot. ( just like many of you, I like a nicely priced flea market find that can then be fixed up upcycled  ).

IMG_2015     I picked one of the slowest times of year to set up at this otherwise busy market. Those who would be potential customers were out enjoying the great weather and numerous area garage sales and church spring bazaars.

Not a problem though since I was just getting into this kind of setup, and had more than enough time to get the spot setup as it should be.

Upcycling beveled glass mirror project
working with this…

My 3 rd. week at the Harrison St. Market I went across the aisle to see neighbors collection of items and found this nice, though old, framed beveled glass mirror. True it was dull from age, yet in otherwise good shape, so I purchased it.

  I now had a beveled glass mirror project to work on.

My first intention was to sand and multicolored stain the frame similarly to a post I saw at Hometalk.com, titled Dump to Divine w/unicorn spit (brand )paint-stain, a project by Tracy Downing, Canada.  The wood frame was not right for staining so I decided to custom paint it.

 

IMG_2101What I did was take the beveled mirror out of its support frame. Then after wiping the frame down applied two coats of Valspar metallic gold paint, allowing each coat to dry completely.

The face of the outside framework and carved area was thoroughly wiped down and given time to dry.  The carved wood piece of the frame had two coats of Rustoleum flat black paint applied, then some touch up was done where the carved areas did not cover.

Taping off the carved area, lightly tacking on the tape so as not to (hopefully) pull off any of the black,  a primer coat of Zinsser paint was applied.  Once dry a second coat of primer was added, and while this coat was still wet acrylic black paint was dabbed around the area, and only slightly blended in giving it its marbled look.

IMG_2146    After giving this part of the frame sufficient time to dry, it was taped off (lightly)  and the outside edge was painted using the same black as the carved part.  When all the painted areas were ready two coats of Rustoleum clear gloss was applied. Actually, three coats to make sure none of this large frame was missed.

IMG_2104      The mirror was thoroughly cleaned as well ,then secured again to its support frame.  This was then placed in the main frame and secured with finishing nails. Though when this was all finished and the glass survived.  In hind sight I should have waited until the frame parts were each secured before replacing the mirror itself.  One other close call was after having re-tied the double wrapped cable that the mirror would hang from it was found not to be strong enough to handle the weight. The cable broke as I tested it while only inches above the ground.

IMG_2102   Now, this mirror is ready ( well after a new cable is fastened to it) to be available for sale.

One of the really good things that came about from the flea market setup , is that I met Alicia Beck, sales and marketing manager from UP THE CREEK ladies consignment boutique, who really likes my artwork, especially the re-purposed items. Alicia asked if I would be interested in featuring for sale some of my work in their store.  And of course, I was.  You can see some of the great consigned items available for sale at https://.www.facebook.com/upthecreekconsignment

And see some of my art and re-purposed items available for purchase.

I would enjoy hearing from you.